Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Little Big Horn

"Did you ever think you should stick with the young guys" quipped Stuart 'Santa Ana' Gourd' as he slipped back into his work clothes after his two setter with the Titan. "Look 'Big Red,' I must set an example for my staff at the Texas Work Force Commission. As it was, your winning 2 games (2-6) in the first set forced me to step it up (0-6) in the second. Plus, now I have to drive your fat ass home and will get back a half hour late." Who could argue. 'Santa Ana' had squeezed me into his busy schedule and was treating me like Jim Bowie and Davey Crockett at the Alamo. TennisTitan performed adequately and was in the first set, losing games by the thinnest of margins and extending points against this vastly superior player. Set two was quite another story as the disgruntled attorney dominated in every phase of the game. This road runner's credentials now include a successful marathon run since our last meeting in the fall. Nothing gets by him. And so the lecture on the way home: "Titan, those boys up at Dell don't have the 'hard drive' I bring to my game. 'Hoya Saxa" peddles servers to industry, but he can't buy a first serve. The 'Blue Hen' pushes soft ware no doubt, but the only thing soft about him is his game. And TennisTitan you wear on me! Those transplanted northerners should be your opponents, not a true Texan, who has giddyup to every ball." As Titan was pushed out of the car he thought he heard, "Custer, this was your last stand! Geronimo!"

No comments: