Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Final Chapter

"Titan, that first set reminded me of my boyhood back in mother Russia in 1956" opined Vladimir 'Russkie' Kartsev. "That was the year that Soviet tanks crushed the Hungarian Revolution in a nanosecond. Our demolition of 'Big Al' DioDati and Max 'Tutor' Tuchman (6-0) in the opener with us losing but 6 points in the 20 minute set was as devastating. Even playing with the 'Tullyville Trolley' regularly, I never experienced such domination of an opponent. Playing with the Titan gave me the same tingling in my legs that Chris Matthews gets when he listens to Obama." "Vlad, then what happened in the 2nd set" interjected an irritated 'Big Al.' "You lost that one (3-6)." "Very true 'Italian Stallion,' that was more like the US/Soviet race to the moon." "And I suppose the (6-4) victory you enjoyed with the 'lumbering loud mouth' in the finale was some other Soviet triumph" quipped the 'Tutor.' "Nyet" shot back the relieved emigre. "That we prevailed in a close contest is the story of my life. I came to America as a middle aged man, struggled to make business contacts and learn the language and have had some financial success in this great country that I would not have had under communism." "Wow, said Titan, and that struggle was like our effort to win that last set. I am honored to be part of that allegory.That's beautiful." "Don't be, responded 'Russkie, 'I realized that when my legs began to shake in the third set it was because I was excited that this was the end of the indoor season and I would not have to see my name in your insufferable blog or listen to your wretched voice for six months."

No comments: