Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Window of Opportunity

"Titan, you must have some pull with the rain gods" complained ''Happy Jack' Carey as the foursome scurried to put their gear away. "HJ" was annoyed from the moment he had stepped on to the court because his post-work nap had been disturbed by an unexpected call by TT from Kinsley with the sudden break in the weather. Now TT and Frank 'Slats' Slattery had managed to put a (6-2) whipping on 'HJ' and his erstwhile partner, George 'Chemist' Hauss before the heavens opened up again in Yonkers. The rain had ended in late afternoon allowing the 'immobile minotaur' to de-puddle and roll dry a court for the 5PM engagement. The 'preposterous pontificator' made the most of the 50 minute playing window by dominating the action. "You should be the most effective player" quipped 'Slats,' "we all have to work a long day before playing in the late afternoon. Titan, you read magazines and do crossword puzzles all day." TT retorted in kind, "Frankie, have you forgotten the standard I set with the Board of Education? Didn't I do the same thing at school. I just made sure I walked fast and had a clipboard in my hand. Only now I hobble around the house (and these courts) with a tennis racket in my hand!"

No comments: