Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Texas Two-Step

"Titan, if you'd take two steps to the ball rather than the one you usually do you might have won a few more games." Such was the advice given by fellow tennis blogger Stuart 'Santa Ana' Gourd at net at the conclusion of a modern day Alamo. Stu will report this match rather perfunctorily at http://stutennis.blogspot.com but let me assure you dear Titan followers it was "asses up" as they said in the school yards of New York City in my day. 'Santa Ana' was gracious enough to play shortly after he had returned from a day at work at Northwest Park in Austin. The conditions were similar to this afternoon, just not the opposition. 'Santa Ana' is a more seasoned and conditioned player, and he is attempting to play 365 sets in a calendar year! Stu broke down my game quite easily as Titan was thrashed ( 1-6, 2-6) in 80 sweltering minutes. Titan is going to take solace in some delicious barbecue and cold beer with his son Russell post match. So Titan comes out a winner anyway! Jeez, if only Stu was a little less talented and more giving on the court. I would have called him 'Santa Claus.' But like they said in Brooklyn in the early '50's Stuart: "Wait'l next year." Or to quote the Terminator, "I'll be back."

1 comment:

Stuart Gourd said...

Heya, TT, I enjoyed our match and also reading your comments on it. I hope you'll be the one the alert the international press to the obvious importance of our momentous and historic meeting, as I've got to shower now. Good luck, and 'till we meet again...