Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Just a Tune Up

"Okay, Okay, dear readers, I know I shouldn't have done it, but you know the Titan... so I decided to get a couple of sets in today before Thursday's (more important to me) indoor contests. John 'The Neck' Manzi induced me to join him and two of his regulars for some late afternoon action at Kinsley. What I didn't count on from his phone call was for Mamby-Pamby Tennis, ala 'Slats' or 'Chemist's in recent outings. I just don't get 'no ad' tennis or truncated sets when time is not a factor. A true set demands physical conditioning and mental toughness to grit out both long points and multi-deuce games. Don't invite me if you are looking for a mamby-pamby type guy. Anyhow, TT paired with Bill 'Electrolux' Ching against the 'Neck' and 'Lil Pappy.' After playing a meaningless and uninspired 'no ad' first set Titan threw down the gauntlet. "I'll keep my commitment and play a second set as promised, but if you want me back on the courts in the future 'Neck,' I suggest we play a genuine set now." And so it was. Titan and 'Electrolux' kicked it up a notch (can you say "Emeril") and scored a hard fought, well played (6-3) victory. 'Neck' played particularly well, adapting a more aggressive game and Pappy is a very consistent and persistent defender. TT was most surprised by 'Electrolux' less argumentative court demeanor which is too often an element in his play. TT is happy that 'Electrolux' is back on the court after a 6 month hiatus to address coronary issues without his Type A personality. "You were SuperBillieBoy! true to your email handle."

No comments: